Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 53: Old man yells at cloud

Or more accurately, young woman yells at internet.

Same difference.

My internet has been generally uncooperative all day. In fact, it has been for a couple weeks, it's just gotten worse. I'm not sure if this is a sign that my computer is dying, or that the internet quality in my area is just that bad. Could just be both.

In any case, as a result, I probably won't be able to publish this until tomorrow. But them's the waters.

Today's lesson is actually entirely unrelated to my rage against the (interconnected) machine(s).

Lesson 51: Google keeps a fully accessible archive of all its past Google Doodles, including the interactive ones, so you can go revisit, and play with, the best of the best in perpetuity. Including the PacMan one, and one of my all-time faves.

And this is totally MLIS related! First of all, I found this while doing my Dialogoogle project for Information System Design while googling halfheartedly for Google. Which kind of makes me wonder if googling Google on Google is like dividing by zero... But also, archives! Even fun, seemingly frivolous things need archiving! Particularly when they're as gorgeous as a lot of Google Doodles have been.

In fact, Google Doodles are so pretty, the Google store will even sell you some of them on t-shirts.

You know, even despite this Dialogoogle project, which is designed to make us hate Google, I still love it.

Can't take away my Google love!

Another fun fact: Google actually works via Pigeon. But that doesn't mean displaying a picture of "parrots posing seductively in resplendent plumage" will have an effect on your site's ranking!

No comments:

Post a Comment